Shaped by a life of service to Christ’s Church, Fr. Christopher has dedicated himself to using all the tools God has placed at his disposal to spread the light of Orthodoxy across America. As Founding Father and host of the Orthodox Christian Network (OCN) and the “Come Receive The Light” national Orthodox Christian radio program, he shepherds a dynamic and rapidly expanding ministry bringing joy, hope, and salvation in Jesus Christ to millions of listeners on Internet and land-based radio around the world in more than 130 countries. Fr. Christopher lives in Brookline, MA and is the President of Hellenic College Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology.
Do you benefit from OCN’s ministry? Do you believe in creating a powerful media outreach for Orthodox Christianity?
Then please stand with us at OCN as we seek to share our timeless Orthodox Christian Faith with the world!
On Sunday, January 17th we begin our Share the Light Sunday Campaign for 2016. You and your parish can support OCN in a number of ways:
- Read the Share the Light Sunday Encyclical – 2016 for the Orthodox Christian Network and pass a tray on a Sunday morning.
- Share with everyone OCN’s 10 cent a day campaign. With 100% of donations going to mission, not overhead, you can help us expand and bring comfort, inspiration, and information to Orthodox Christians and seekers worldwide.
- Add OCN as a line item into your annual parish budget.
When leading your parish’s effort for Share the Light Sunday, we invite you to make use of the additional materials below to help you in raising awareness about the mission, vision, and programming of the Orthodox Christian Network.
- Share the Light Sunday Encyclical – 2016 for the Orthodox Christian Network
- 2016 Share the Light Sunday Checklist
The Orthodox Christian Network is a commissioned agency of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America. Our mission is to comfort, inspire, and inform Orthodox Christians and seekers around the world using digital media. OCN is not underwritten financially by any one organization, jurisdiction, or individual. Rather, OCN is supported entirely by parish and personal donations. Please remember OCN in your parish’s charitable giving. The Orthodox Christian Network is a 501(c)(3) corporation.
January 17, 2016
“Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
Beloved Clergy, Godly Monastics, and Blessed Faithful:
We greet you during this great and joyous Feast of Theophany in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Christ’s earthly ministry begins with His baptism by St. John the Forerunner and the proclamation of the Triune God, “This is my Son in whom I am well pleased.” Today we write you to join Christ’s ministry as disciples of the 21st Century.
Now more than ever, the next generation of Orthodox leaders, our Christian brothers and sisters in persecution, and faith seekers worldwide need a witness to Christ. People are lost in temptation with no hope of salvation. They need to hear the message of our Lord. By the Grace of God we have the Orthodox Christian Network – to inspire the faithful everywhere; raise up our children; call back the wayward; and reach out to our cities and towns with the joyful, Christ-centered message of the Orthodox Christian Church.
In parishes across the country and in homes around the world, millions of youth, families, priests, Bible Study groups, and those yearning to learn more about the Church visit the Orthodox Christian Network every day. As an official agency of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America, the Orthodox Christian Network (OCN) comforts, inspires, interacts and informs Orthodox Christians and seekers through Digital Media. OCN invites you and your congregation to Listen, Read, Watch, Learn and Interact at www.myocn.net with our Internet radio stations, news programs, blogs, Live Bible Study, and popular social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
During the Orthodox Christian Network’s 20th Anniversary, the Assembly asks every Orthodox parish in America to participate in a Share the Light Sunday. Please spread the word about this ministry, and remember OCN in your parish’s charitable giving. OCN is not financially underwritten by any one organization, jurisdiction, or individual. Rather, OCN is supported entirely by parish and personal donations. When your parish supports OCN, you contribute to strengthening Orthodox evangelism and outreach in the Digital Age.
On behalf of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops, we thank you for your continued support of this vital ministry. Let us go forth and share the Good News.
Faithfully in Christ,
The Right Reverend Bishop Peter (Episcopal Liaison of OCN)
Nick (Nicholas) Mavrick (Chairman of the Board)
Rev. Christopher T. Metropulos (Founding Father)
2016 Share the Light Sunday Kickoff is January 17, 2016!
All Parishes are encouraged to hold a Share the Light Sunday on our kick off date, but can hold one on any date throughout the year.
Look below to see how your parish can participate!
- Select a Share the Light Sunday Ambassador! This person will be the “face” of Share the Light Sunday. Then, form a committee of three or four people to coordinate the event. Have the committee chair announce the upcoming Sunday two weeks prior to the event.
- Announce Share the Light Sunday in your Church Bulletin
- Print and read the 2016 Share the Light Encyclical, which is available for download at www.myocn.net
- Have your priest or ambassador prepare a special talk on that day highlighting the need for an Orthodox Christian presence in today’s modern media.
- Pass a tray during the Sunday Divine Liturgy for OCN, or host a fundraising luncheon for OCN. Your donation to OCN will designate your community as a Share the Light Parish, and will receive media and resources from our ministry throughout the year. As the tray is passed, remind the faithful the importance of using the media for a positive purpose– a national media outreach for Orthodoxy in America.
- Connect several computers to www.myocn.net during coffee hour to familiarize parishioners with the OCN site. Show parishioners how they can Listen, Read, Watch, Learn, and Interact with the best in Orthodoxy!
- Encourage your Parish Youth Ministry team of teachers, advisors, and volunteers to use OCN programming to teach the children in your parish. Each week we can send you a free edition of “The Children’s Word”, an 8.5 x 14 page featuring crossword puzzles, icons and Gospel lessons for youth, which can be downloaded and printed so that you can insert it into your Church Bulletins each Sunday.
- Take pictures of what your church did to celebrate Share the Light Sunday and send them to email@example.com. We may feature you on our website and Facebook page!
- Add us to your church web site under “Orthodox Links”! Once you have sent in your collection, we will send you a special banner ad for your church website.
It is the goal of OCN that every Orthodox Church in America becomes a Share the Light Parish. This means that congregations of 150 families or more could set a goal of an annual gift of $1000. Parishes of less than 150 families could set a goal of $5 per family per year as their goal for this Sunday effort.
We remain extremely humbled by your graciousness and generosity. We remain at your service.