Alexia Loughman is a native of Chattanooga, Tennessee, where her heart will always be. She is a proud graduate of the University of Georgia, where she studied journalism and international affairs. After a short career in cable news, Alexia pursued her masters of English education, and she continues to share her passion of effective communication with her students. Married to a naval officer, Alexia currently lives with her husband in Singapore and teaches at an international high school with students from around the world. No matter where she has roamed, the bedrock of her life has always been her family and the Orthodox Church.
Even though we all strive to be like Jesus, not everyone always has a starring role. As your kids head back to school and schedules get more chaotic, take time to remind them that Christ is at the center of all that we do. To honor Him and his example they can do much more than crossing themselves before a test or a penalty kick.
Here are five ways your child or teen can keep Christ alive as they head back to class:
1. Support friends and classmates throughout the day. Follow the teamwork mentality of Jesus’s best friends, the Apostles.
2. Reach out to the new kid. Jesus befriended the people who were “sitting alone in the cafeteria.” Building and cultivating friendships can be one of the most meaningful and rewarding parts of going to school.
3. Make a joyful noise. Being shy is the easy way out. Christ gave us all unique gifts. Don’t be afraid to let them shine!
4. Pray with your family. A few minutes praying together every day—whether it’s during breakfast or before bed—can help children and parents alike prioritize prayer.
5. Give to others. During holiday breaks, take time to give thanks for your blessings by supporting those in need. Participating in a food drive during Thanksgiving break or donating clothes and toys to children in need at Christmastime can be a rewarding way to honor Christ.
Orthodox Christian Network (OCN) is a 501(c)3 and an official agency of the Assembly of Canonical Bishops of the United States of America . It is a recognized leader in the Orthodox Media field and has sustained consistent growth over twenty-two years. We have worked to create a community for both believers and non believers alike by sharing the timeless faith of Orthodoxy with the contemporary world through modern media. We are on a mission to inspire Orthodox Christians Worldwide. Click to signup to receive weekly newsletter.
Join us in our Media Ministry Missions! Help us bring the Orthodox Faith to the fingertips of Orthodox Christians worldwide! Your gift today will helps us produce and provide unlimited access to Orthodox faith-inspiring programming, services and community. Don’t wait. Share the Love of Orthodoxy Today!