The Gospel of Matthew, Part 16
The Gospel of Matthew
Matthew 7:21 – 8:4
Matthew 7:21 Jesus teaches
- Enter through the narrow gate- there is a great temptation to not do so.
- Opposition to Christ coming from the Israelite community- mainly the Pharisee’s who were being severely challenged by Jesus Christ teachings and therefore felt threatened. Then they were making it difficult to follow Him. Sets stage for next teaching.
- Warning to not follow False Prophets. Pharisees teachings- ravenous wolves coming to you in sheep’s clothing.
- How do we determine the true teachings according to Christ- By their fruits- recognize them, grapes are not gathered from thorns.
- Bearing of good fruits of righteousness is required from all.
- Warning to heed Christ’s Teaching
- Building one spiritual home on solid rock “a prudent man who built his home upon the rock.”
- Christ tells the parable of two men – a prudent man and a foolish one.
- Discourse to conclude these teachings
- He taught as if He were someone having authority and not as their scribes.
Matthew 8:1 Cleansing the Leper
- A series of stories and sayings of Jesus Christ illustrating His early Galilean ministry.
- Leper approaches to the healed
- Leper was driven from common society to face a life of isolation and poverty.
- Encounter with Christ
- “If You are willing, You can cleanse me.”
- Immediately his leprosy was cured.
- Power of Touch – Divine and Human