Shaped by a life of service to Christ’s Church, Fr. Christopher has dedicated himself to using all the tools God has placed at his disposal to spread the light of Orthodoxy across America. As Founding Father and host of the Orthodox Christian Network (OCN) and the “Come Receive The Light” national Orthodox Christian radio program, he shepherds a dynamic and rapidly expanding ministry bringing joy, hope, and salvation in Jesus Christ to millions of listeners on Internet and land-based radio around the world in more than 130 countries. Fr. Christopher is the former President of Hellenic College Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology and Parish Priest of Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
The Gospel of Matthew
Matthew 7:21 – 8:4
Matthew 7:21 Jesus teaches
- Enter through the narrow gate- there is a great temptation to not do so.
- Opposition to Christ coming from the Israelite community- mainly the Pharisee’s who were being severely challenged by Jesus Christ teachings and therefore felt threatened. Then they were making it difficult to follow Him. Sets stage for next teaching.
- Warning to not follow False Prophets. Pharisees teachings- ravenous wolves coming to you in sheep’s clothing.
- How do we determine the true teachings according to Christ- By their fruits- recognize them, grapes are not gathered from thorns.
- Bearing of good fruits of righteousness is required from all.
- Warning to heed Christ’s Teaching
- Building one spiritual home on solid rock “a prudent man who built his home upon the rock.”
- Christ tells the parable of two men – a prudent man and a foolish one.
- Discourse to conclude these teachings
- He taught as if He were someone having authority and not as their scribes.
Matthew 8:1 Cleansing the Leper
- A series of stories and sayings of Jesus Christ illustrating His early Galilean ministry.
- Leper approaches to the healed
- Leper was driven from common society to face a life of isolation and poverty.
- Encounter with Christ
- “If You are willing, You can cleanse me.”
- Immediately his leprosy was cured.
- Power of Touch – Divine and Human