The Gospel of Matthew, Part 51
Pronouncement of Judgment
Seven woes pronounced upon the Scribes and Pharisees
1. Jesus castigates them because they denounce Him and His message-thus shut the Kingdom of the heavens before men.
2. Jesus blames them for what they make of converts, making them imitations of their false teachings.
3. Jesus castigates the Pharisees for being blind to Holy things and taking an oath.
4. Jesus blames the Scribes and Pharisees for their failure to discern the truly important things in the law.
5. Jesus denounces them for their preoccupation with the external, to the utter neglect of the internal.
6. Again concerns the stunning contrast between the exterior appearance of righteousness and the rebelliousness that lurks in their hearts.
7. Jesus condemnation reaches its climax. Jesus castigates them for their hypocrisy.
The Fate of Jerusalem
Jesus begins by addressing the city tenderly, calling out to her: Jerusalem, Jerusalem. He states you will not listen and therefor your House, the Temple is left a wilderness. It has been abandoned by God since you abandoned God. The Pharisees will never see Jesus or know his protection unless they cry, “Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord”.
Posted by the Orthodox Christian Network. You can find the Orthodox Christian Network on Google+