Share the Light Sunday
Do you benefit from OCN’s ministry? Do you believe in creating a powerful media outreach for Orthodox Christianity? Become an OCN Parish today!
Click here for an OCN printable flyer to distribute to your parish.
On Sunday, January 15th we begin our Share the Light Sunday Campaign for 2017. You and your parish can support OCN in a number of ways:
- Learn about OCN ministry through this VIDEO, share and with your parish
- Read the Share the Light Sunday Encyclical – 2017 for the Orthodox Christian Network
- Pass a tray on a Sunday morning for OCN
- Host a table at coffee hour after church and designate someone to answer questions about the ministry.
- Assist Orthodox Christians in downloading our latest portal apps, Spark OCN and Prayerbook
- Sign up Orthodox Christians for OCN’s Weekly Newsletter, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Order or print brochures to share the vision of the benefits of OCN’s media ministry. If you need a large quantity contact us: email@example.com
When leading your parish’s effort for Share the Light Sunday, we invite you to make use of the additional materials below to help you in raising awareness about the mission, vision, and programming of the Orthodox Christian Network. Also, contact our office at 954-522-5567 for more information on how to get involved.
- Share the Light Sunday Encyclical – 2017 for the Orthodox Christian Network
- 2017 Share the Light Sunday Checklist
The Orthodox Christian Network is a commissioned agency of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America. Our mission is to comfort, inspire, and inform Orthodox Christians and seekers around the world using digital media. OCN is not underwritten financially by any one organization, jurisdiction, or individual. Rather, OCN is supported entirely by parish and personal donations. Please remember OCN in your parish’s charitable giving. The Orthodox Christian Network is a 501(c)(3) corporation.
Share the Light Sunday Encyclical – 2017
December 15th, 2016
Dear Blessed Faithful:
We greet you during this great and joyous Feast of Theophany in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Now more than ever, we need to focus on the next generation of Orthodox leaders. The Orthodox Christian Network (OCN) has decided to take this concern and address it in a real and impactful way. In addition to our strong media ministry presence on multiple platforms, we will spend 2017 focusing on identifying and highlighting thirty Orthodox individuals who exhibit strong leadership and mentor skills in their community and who are under the age of thirty. This will be done to encourage others to emulate their faith.
We are asking parishes across America to participate in this mission. The missions and ministries of OCN are not possible without the financial support of Orthodox parishes. We ask you to join us in supporting the next generation of Orthodox leaders!
OCN is an official agency of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the United States of America. During OCN’s Share the Light Sunday, January 15th, the Assembly asks EVERY Orthodox parish in America to participate in our mission. MyOCN is YourOCN! Please join us in speaking about Orthodox Christian Network at church, informing parishioners about OCN’s suite of mobile applications, passing a tray, and identifying an ambassador at your parish that can request brochures and answer questions at coffee hour about OCN’s ministry.
Please join us in encouraging the next generation of mentors and leaders of our faith. We cannot do this without your support, financial and otherwise. Spread the word about this ministry. Remember OCN in your parish’s charitable giving. OCN is supported almost entirely by parish and personal donations. Join with OCN now and contribute to strengthening the future of Orthodox evangelism and outreach in the Digital Age.
On behalf of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops, we thank you for your continued support of this vital ministry. Let us go forth and share the Good News.
Archbishop Peter Nick T. Mavrick Eleni Alexiou
Liaison to the Assembly Board Chairman Managing Director
- Select a Share the Light Sunday Ambassador! This person will be the “face” of Share the Light Sunday. Then, form a committee of three or four people to coordinate the event. Have the committee chair announce the upcoming Sunday two weeks prior to the event.
- Announce Share the Light Sunday in your Church Bulletin and post something on your community board. OCN PARISH RESOURCES
- Place OCN brochures or information business cards in an area for people to take home with them. PRINTABLE BROCHURES
- Print and read the 2017 Share the Light Encyclical, which is available for DOWNLOAD AND PRINT
- Have your priest or ambassador prepare a special talk on that day highlighting the need for an Orthodox Christian presence in today’s modern media. Or have them show the OCN video available HERE
- Pass a tray during the Sunday Divine Liturgy for OCN, or host a fundraising luncheon for OCN. Your donation to OCN will designate your community as a Share the Light Parish, and will receive media and resources from our ministry throughout the year. As the tray is passed, remind the faithful the importance of using the media for a positive purpose– a national media outreach for Orthodoxy in America.
- Assist in downloading OCN mobile apps PrayerBook and Spark at www.myocn.net/mobile-apps-spark-ocn-orthodox-prayerbook
- Connect several computers to www.myocn.net during coffee hour to familiarize parishioners with the OCN site. Show parishioners how they can Listen, Read, Watch, Learn, and Interact with the best in Orthodoxy! And help them sign up for our weekly e-newsletter. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Encourage your Parish Youth Ministry team of teachers, advisors, and volunteers to use OCN programming to teach the children in your parish. Each week we post a free edition of “The Children’s Word”, an 8.5 x 14 page featuring crossword puzzles, icons and Gospel lessons for youth, which can be downloaded and printed so that you can insert it into your Church Bulletins each Sunday.
- Take pictures of what your church did to celebrate Share the Light Sunday and send them to email@example.com. We may feature you on our website and Facebook page! MyOCN is YourOCN.
- Add us to your church website under “Orthodox Links”! Once you have sent in your collection, we will send you a special banner ad for your church website. OCN PARISH RESOURCES
It is the goal of OCN that every Orthodox Church in America becomes a Share the Light Parish. This means that congregations of 150 families or more should set a goal of an annual gift of $1,000. Parishes of less than 150 families should set a goal of $5 per family per year as their goal for this Sunday effort.