Anberin Pasha, OCN's Digital Disciple Producer and Program Coordinator is a Graduate student in the Master's of Divinity Program at Hellenic College Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology in Brookline, Massachusetts.
The Orthodox Christian Network has established the Digital Disciple Scholars Program on the campus of Hellenic College Holy Cross School of Theology. The purpose is to begin training our ministry leaders to use multi-media resources to spread the Gospel. Students will be promoting current issues related to the Orthodox Faith, Christian Persecution, cover Orthodox News and events on campus. Our long-term plan is to bring Orthodox media ministry classes and field placement internships to campus.
Make A Difference with Loukoumi & Philoptochos
What might you be doing to make a difference? “Make A Difference with Loukoumi & Philoptochos,” is a collaboration between National Philoptochos and Nick Katsoris, author of the award-winning Loukoumi book series.
Philoptochos and Loukoumi teamed up to make a difference and participated in the National Make A Difference Day on October 25, 2015. In so doing, Philoptochos Chapters engaged their entire community to participate in this important initiative to gather young people and adults, to encourage literacy and to discuss with children good deeds they can perform on National Make A Difference Day.
The goal of the program is “to create a sea of good deeds from the hearts and hands of our children, guided by the Philoptochos” and to engage in a “cross-generational” initiative (i.e., Philoptochos and children), during the entire month of October, not only to make a difference but also to do so in honor of His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios’ Name Day which is October 26th.
Maria Logus, President & Anita Kartalopoulos, Chair wrote a joint letter to Philoptochos chapters for plans about Make A Difference Day. They welcomed ideas that chapters would like to share by sending a short email PhiloptochosDifference@gmail.com. Chapters are also welcome to follow up an email recounting their initiative.
Some Philoptochos chapters are have set in motion their Make a Difference Day plans:
- Fairview and Roseland, NJ and the Elpis chapter in Memphis, TN worked with Sunday School and Greek School children to send thank you cards with words of appreciation to our brave veterans. Philoptochos members worked with them to carry out this initiative so that each child or youth learns the importance of the sacrifices of our men and women in uniform.
- Philoptochos of Holy Trinity Cathedral, Portland, OR, collected donations of toiletries and assembled Health Kits for International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC). Health Kits are frequently requested by IOCC partners to help victims of disaster. The kits include items such as hand towels, soap and toothbrushes. This was a parish wide activity and everyone was invited to participate.
- Philoptochos of St. George, Bloomfield Hills, MI partnered with Sunday School, Greek School and GOYA to collect and distribute gently used icons for Orthodox Christian Mission Center (OCMC) and used blankets, throw rugs and towels for local animal shelters.
- From the Agape chapter in Raleigh, NC, Philoptochos members met at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, sewing machines in hand, to make bibs for a local organization called Hilltop Home, a nonprofit residential home that serves children with severe developmental and medical disabilities. This home had asked for help in supplying bibs for the children who, because of their disabilities, use 3-5 bibs per child, per day.
- Women from Philoptochos of St. Nicholas of Baltimore, MD, along with Sunday School and Greek School collected items for the local Family Crisis Center.
- Parishioners from the Assumption Greek Orthodox Church in Danbury, CT collected cards and stuffed pillows made by their Philoptochos to send to “Matthew’s Hearts of Hope” for children with Congenital Heart Defect (CHD) who are going through open-heart surgery.
Reinforcing their message of teaching children to engage in acts of kindness helps fulfill their human and spiritual potential with reference to Proverbs 22:6: training our children in ways from which they will not depart.
The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society, Inc. is an organization of women whose collective drive, dedication and heart help those who need it most.
(Photo credit: http://www.loukoumi.com/program_make_a_difference.html)
The Orthodox Christian Network (OCN) is an official agency of the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops. OCN offers videos, podcasts, blogs and music, to enhance Orthodox Christian life. We also report on news events in the Orthodox Church and produce This Week in Orthodoxy, a weekly news video with stories and issues of interest to Orthodox Christians around the world.
The Orthodox Christian Network invites you to support our mission by giving to our 10 Cents A Day campaign, where 100% of your gift goes to ministry and 0% to overhead.
Posted by the Orthodox Christian Network. You can find the Orthodox Christian Network on Google+