Fr. Chris offers the third class in the series, focusing on the story of the Magi visiting the Christ Child, the escape to Egypt, and the slaughter of the Innocents.
The Gospel of Matthew
Matthew 2:1-8, 2:9-12, 2:13-18
Things you should know:
A. Visit of the Magi (Matt 2:1-8)
- Magi were originally members of the Persian priestly class skilled in ancient science such as astrology, venerable men, seekers after eternal life and universal truth.
- Dwelt in the east, supposedly three but actual number not known.
B. Star of Bethlehem (Matt 2:9-12)
- Great star seen in the sky- alignment of planets in 7 BC Saturn and Jupiter joined a year later by Mars.
- Herod, Christ Birth, insecurity of ruler. Herod tried to use Magi to find Jesus Christ the child.
- When the magi saw the star, they knew that their goal was at hand and they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy.
- Came into the presence of the Christ child and His Mother and fell down to worship him.
- Mystical Significance of Gifts:
- Gold- sign of Christ’s royalty
- Frankincense- evidence of His deity
- Myrrh- sign of His saving birth
- In the Magi, God reveals His love for the Gentiles, allowing them to hear His voice, using such methods of revelation as they would listen.
- Adoration a royal homage
C. Flight to Egypt (Matt 2:13-18)
- Arise and take the child and His mother, flee to Egypt for Herod’s about to seek for the child to destroy Him.
- God knows us and protects us even warns us what is good or bad-
- Question are we listening?
- Fulfillment of prophecy – Hosea 11:1
- “From Egypt I have called My Son”
- Herod is mocked by the Magi becomes indignant and slaughters children under 5. This caused people to all the more follow Him.
- Death of innocents – 14,000 Infants in Bethlehem.
This is the third class in a series. You can enjoy additional classes here.