Shaped by a life of service to Christ’s Church, Fr. Christopher has dedicated himself to using all the tools God has placed at his disposal to spread the light of Orthodoxy across America. As Founding Father and host of the Orthodox Christian Network (OCN) and the “Come Receive The Light” national Orthodox Christian radio program, he shepherds a dynamic and rapidly expanding ministry bringing joy, hope, and salvation in Jesus Christ to millions of listeners on Internet and land-based radio around the world in more than 130 countries. Fr. Christopher is the former President of Hellenic College Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology and Parish Priest of Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
Adult Study Class
Matthew 4:23-25; 5:1-12
Summary of Jesus’ Ministry – Pg. 12
Jesus ministers to the crowds:
- Matthew’s report of Jesus Christ astounding success finding a welcome everywhere.
- Healing every disease and malady among the people – no affliction beyond his reach. No wonder so many followed him.
The Beatitudes: The Blessing of True Disciples – pg. 12
1st Discourse – The Sermon on the Mount
- As God spoke from the Mountain in Moses’ time, so now He speaks from the mountain with Christ. He was expounding the truth!
- Beatitudes stand at the head of the Sermon on the Mount.
- Beatitudes are Christ’s promise to the disciples.
- Despised state of His disciples form the background to the Beatitudes. Christ’s followers were despised by the Pharisees. They denounce the followers of Jesus Christ as hapless and pathetic men.
- Christ therefore counters this saying – those who have chosen to follow Him are blessed (Gr. Makarios)
- Meaningful and ninefold description of His true followers. Indication of the reversal of their current position to one of Glory in the Kingdom.
- They are not commendations for certain virtues or state of mind.
- Blessed are the ___________________ for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven
Poor in spirit
Those who mourn
The meek, those who hunger and thirst for righteousness
The peace makers
Those who have been persecuted
Next Class – You are the salt of the earth (Matthew 5:13)
This class is part of a series. You can enjoy other classes here.